Formula 1 News

Formula 1® - The Official F1® Website

All the stories that got the Zandvoort paddock talking

Max Verstappen stole the headlines as the Formula 1 fraternity regrouped after the summer break when he announced a contract extension with Red Bull until the end of 2030. But that was just one of many stories tickling the Zandvoort paddock on Thursday ahead of this weekend's Dutch Grand Prix.

NFL team owner acquires stake in Aston Martin

Woody Johnson has been appointed to Aston Martin’s Board of Directors as Vice Chairman.

Why Verstappen's Red Bull re-signing is so significant

Max Verstappen is set to break the record for the longest stint with a single team after the four-time World Champion ended speculation surrounding his future by committing to Red Bull until at least the end of 2030.

Mekies on Verstappen’s new deal, Hadjar and Lawson

Red Bull Team Principal Laurent Mekies sat down with F1.com at the Dutch Grand Prix following the announcement of Max Verstappen's contract extension.

Hamilton shares hopes for Ferrari’s battle against Mercedes

Lewis Hamilton has outlined his expectations for the second half of the 2026 season.

Lawson shares reaction to Red Bull opportunity

Liam Lawson has revealed how he is approaching his return to Red Bull as he prepares to fill in for an injured Isack Hadjar at the Dutch Grand Prix.

Slashdot

News for nerds, stuff that matters

Does Using AI to Edit an Op-Ed on Students' Math Skills Undermine the Argument?

An anonymous reader quotes a report from The Guardian: A math professor at the University of California, Berkeley, criticizing a "severe" math deficiency among students in an op-ed for the San Francisco Standard, admitted to using artificial intelligence to help edit the piece. The Standard published a 2,000-word piece by Zvezdelina Stankova last week, in which the professor said some of her math students were "five to eight years" behind and lacked a "middle school" education on fractions and basic algebra. Stankova said the UC system's test-blind admissions were to blame, suggesting that students who weren't sufficiently prepared for the rigor of Berkeley's mathematics program were admitted because a longstanding benchmark like the SAT had disappeared.

Over the weekend, journalists at Berkeley's student newspaper, the Daily Californian, noticed the op-ed's language sounded like AI. According to Berkeley sophomore Francis Luo, they ran it through AI-detection software Pangram, which claimed 33% of the op-ed had been generated or assisted by AI. In response, Stankova admitted she had used AI software to "help edit the piece" but that the article was "the result of several hundred person-hours of intensive human work, of which about 80 hours are my own."

Stankova said by email she had used AI to locate "numerous documents and articles related to the initiative" but that "all analysis is the result of the team members." When asked about their AI usage policy, the Standard -- which published the op-ed -- shared this statement by email: "While AI may assist, our expectation is that humans are behind every article we publish and take responsibility for every word. Our understanding in working with the author of this op ed was -- and continues to be -- that this piece reflects her and her colleagues' extensive original analysis, research and expertise." Should the op-ed have been entirely written without artificial assistance or is the use of AI a distraction from the argument at hand? That's the question at the heart of the debate playing out online.

According to the op-ed, Stankova and her peers found that the number of students with a "severe deficit" in their readiness for a calculus I class had tripled after the University of California adopted test-blind admissions. Some students were allegedly five to eight years behind and struggling with basic algebra and fractions, among other concepts.

Much of that decline, Stankova argues, is from the removal of standardized tests like the SAT and ACT, which served as important benchmarks for identifying whether applicants were prepared for Berkeley-level coursework.

Read more of this story at Slashdot.

Reverse-Lookup Service Exposed Millions of Photos of People's Faces

Security researcher Jeremiah Fowler found that people-search service ClarityCheck left more than 9 million image files accessible in an unsecured Amazon S3 bucket, despite advertising its reverse-image search as "private and secure." A separate misconfiguration also exposed email addresses, phone numbers, and other personal information. Wired reports: Overall, according to findings from independent security researcher Jeremiah Fowler, the exposed ClarityCheck database contained roughly 450 GB of images, including what appeared to be profile images, screenshots, and other photographs of adults, teenagers, and children. All of the images were stored in an unsecured Amazon S3 bucket, with files in folders named "faces" and "profiles," which could be accessed by anyone online through a URL included in the company's publicly available website code.

ClarityCheck is one of a number of so-called people-finder tools that have appeared online in recent years. These websites broadly claim to be able to search the web, public records, and other databases to identify individuals. ClarityCheck's website says it can run searches on phone numbers, email addresses, vehicle identification numbers, and names. Its photo-search page says it can help "identify anyone in a photo" and find social media profiles "in seconds." While ClarityCheck secured the giant image database after WIRED contacted the company in July, Fowler warns that it was seemingly exposed for months, and his initial efforts to flag the problem to the company were unsuccessful. Accidental data exposures create risk for any personal information, but particularly for sensitive and unchangeable biometric data like face images.

[...] In addition to the face data, ClarityCheck had also misconfigured its APIs such that its website URLs could be manipulated to reveal data about people simply by entering names; anyone using any consumer browser could have done this. Entering a name into one of the URLs would return multiple potential email addresses, physical addresses, and phone numbers for people with that name. After WIRED contacted the company, the URLs were secured. The ClarityCheck spokesperson said in the statement that the details displayed were "sourced from publicly available information and licensed third-party data providers." A spokesperson for ClarityCheck said in a statement: "Once this was drawn to the attention of the appropriate teams, we acted immediately to restrict access." The company disputed any characterization that the data was "exposed," saying that an "ordinary member of the public" would not have come across it.

"We do not accept that data in the temporary storage location was 'publicly exposed,' which implies large-scale public access," the spokesperson says. "Access required knowledge of a specific, unindexed URL that was not discoverable through ordinary use of the ClarityCheck service or a general web search."

Read more of this story at Slashdot.

YouTube Offers Creators Millions of Dollars to Stay Off Netflix

Bloomberg reports that YouTube is offering major creators millions of dollars to keep some content exclusive to its platform as Netflix increasingly signs YouTube-native talent to non-exclusive deals. YouTube has also warned that creators who simultaneously publish on Netflix could lose marketing support, event opportunities, and access to revenue from certain brand campaigns. Quartz reports: Bloomberg described two categories of payment: funding directed at specific programs, and a portion of the revenue YouTube brings in through large advertiser partnerships. No agreements have been finalized, but YouTube is close to deals with several partners, citing people familiar with the negotiations who declined to be identified. Creators who sign with Netflix face consequences. YouTube has warned creators that those who simultaneously publish videos on Netflix risk being sidelined from the platform's marketing campaigns and events, and would lose access to a share of proceeds from certain major brand deals.

Netflix has been signing YouTube creators to non-exclusive deals that allow them to post the same content on both platforms simultaneously. Creators including Alan Chikin Chow and Nick DiGiovanni have already signed such agreements, and Netflix remains in active conversations with dozens of other channels and programs, including the celebrity talk show Hot Ones. Netflix's pitch is straightforward: creators receive a substantial additional payday for content they have already produced, and their work reaches an audience that numbers more than 325 million subscribers.

YouTube Chief Executive Officer Neal Mohan had previously held that creators who work with competitors tend to drive viewers back to YouTube. But Bloomberg reported that Mohan and his team decided in recent weeks that the growing number of creators posting simultaneously on both platforms had become a problem that needed to be addressed. The concern is that when a video runs on both platforms simultaneously, YouTube's ability to convince advertisers of that video's exclusive value is undermined.

Read more of this story at Slashdot.

thexiffy

Last.fm last recent tracks from thexiffy.

Django Django - Dirty Hotel Blues

Django Django

Wel.nl

Minder lezen, Meer weten.

LTO merkt bij kabinet bereidheid tot 'verbetering' stikstofaanpak

DEN HAAG (ANP) - Land- en tuinbouworganisatie LTO heeft donderdag een "constructief" gesprek gehad met kabinetsleden over de stikstofaanpak. De boerenlobbyorganisatie stelt onder meer de toezegging te hebben gekregen "dat er ruimte is om het stikstofpakket stevig te verbeteren". "Bij het kabinet merken we grote bereidheid om hier met LTO en NAJK uit te komen."

Bij het gesprek waren naast Ger Koopmans van LTO en Gerben Boom van het Nederlands Agrarisch Jongeren Kontakt (NAJK) onder meer premier Rob Jetten en landbouwminister Jaimi van Essen (beiden van D66) aanwezig. LTO zegt dat het een gesprek was "waarin wij de pijn en boosheid van boeren hebben overgebracht, en onze eisen stevig op tafel hebben gelegd". De kabinetsdelegatie zegde volgens de boeren toe "dat er ruimte is voor verbetering, aanpassing en invulling van de stikstofplannen, met als doel om tot een aanpak te komen die haalbaar en realistisch is".

LTO noemt dit een belangrijk signaal. "Maar ons gaat het om het resultaat. In de komende weken blijven we daarom intensief en gestructureerd met elkaar in gesprek."


Van Ozempic-face tot haaruitval: welke bijwerkingen van afslankmiddelen zijn nu echt bewezen?

Afslankmiddelen als Wegovy, Ozempic en Mounjaro zijn razend populair. Tegelijkertijd duikt op sociale media de ene na de andere vermeende bijwerking op. Je zou er een ingevallen hoofd, haaruitval en zelfs zere voeten van krijgen: wat is daar van waar?

Misselijkheid en darmproblemen: ja

Hierover bestaat weinig discussie. Misselijkheid, braken, diarree en obstipatie zijn bekende en in klinische studies aangetoonde bijwerkingen van GLP-1-medicijnen. Dat komt mede doordat de middelen ervoor zorgen dat de maag langzamer leegloopt. De klachten nemen bij veel gebruikers na verloop van tijd af.

Oogproblemen: mogelijk, maar zeldzaam

Onderzoek heeft GLP-1-medicijnen ook in verband gebracht met bepaalde oogproblemen. Een daarvan is NAION, waarbij de bloedtoevoer naar de oogzenuw verstoord raakt en plotseling blijvend gezichtsverlies kan optreden. Het risico wordt als zeer klein beschouwd, maar staat bijvoorbeeld bij Wegovy wel als mogelijke bijwerking vermeld.

Onverwacht zwanger: nog veel onduidelijk

Online zijn opvallend veel verhalen te vinden over vrouwen die tijdens het gebruik van Ozempic of aanverwanten onverwacht zwanger werden. Een mogelijke verklaring is dat gewichtsverlies de vruchtbaarheid verbetert. Ook zouden sommige middelen de werking van orale anticonceptie kunnen beïnvloeden.

Hard bewijs is echter beperkt. Wel wordt GLP-1-gebruik tijdens de zwangerschap afgeraden omdat er onvoldoende gegevens zijn over de veiligheid voor het ongeboren kind.

Ozempic-face bestaat, maar komt niet door Ozempic

Ingevallen wangen, rimpels en een slappere huid worden vaak een Ozempic-face genoemd. Plastisch chirurgen herkennen het verschijnsel, maar het lijkt vooral een gevolg van snel en fors gewichtsverlies. Het kan dus ook optreden na bijvoorbeeld een maagverkleining.

Haaruitval: aanwijzingen worden sterker

Recent onderzoek wijst op een verband tussen GLP-1-medicijnen en haarverlies. Mounjaro en Wegovy noemen haaruitval al als mogelijke bijwerking. Onduidelijk is of het medicijn zelf de boosdoener is.

Snel afvallen kan namelijk tekorten en veranderingen in de stofwisseling veroorzaken die tijdelijk haarverlies uitlokken. Goed nieuws: het lijkt vaak om vormen van haaruitval te gaan die omkeerbaar zijn.

En de Ozempic-voet? Daarvoor is nauwelijks rechtstreeks bewijs. Wel kan fors afvallen het vetkussentje onder de voeten dunner maken, waardoor lopen pijnlijker wordt.

Kortom: niet iedere bizarre Ozempic-bijwerking op TikTok is onzin, maar ook niet alles komt daadwerkelijk door de prik zelf. Snel gewichtsverlies kan minstens zo'n belangrijke rol spelen.

Bron: The Guardian


Technisch probleem bij KIJK-livestream FC Sion - Ajax opgelost

SION (ANP) - Door een technisch probleem bij streamingdienst KIJK was het eerste kwartier van de wedstrijd FC Sion - Ajax in de Conference League voor sommige voetbalfans mogelijk niet te zien. Wie het duel om een plek in het Europese voetbaltoernooi wilde bekijken, moest 4,99 euro betalen om dat via KIJK te doen. Donderdagavond regende het op sociale media klachten dat dit echter niet mogelijk was. Inmiddels is het probleem opgelost, laat het platform weten.

"Door een technisch probleem zou het kunnen dat je momenteel de Conference League-wedstrijd tussen FC Sion en Ajax niet kan afspelen. We doen ons uiterste best dit zo snel mogelijk voor je op te lossen", liet KIJK kort na de aftrap in een verklaring op Instagram weten. "Het technisch probleem is opgelost", werd rond 20.30 uur gemeld.

Het duel in Zwitserland begon om 20.15 uur.


Sargasso

Hopeloos Genuanceerd

Closing Time | How Dare I – Poppy Seed

“Poppy Seed” is het pseudoniem van spoken word kunstenaar Angela Harvey. ‘How dare I’ is een van de nummers die op de soundtrack van de documentaire ‘500 Years Later – Music of the Diaspora’ staan.

In een van haar gedichten (Black is all the colours) zegt Angela Harvey:

Als je elke kleur die op aarde bestaat
in een pot zou doen, voor wat het waard is,
dan is zwart de uitkomst, de rijke beloning,
wanneer alles wat je bent eruit wordt gegoten.

Zoals het zwarte klaprooszaadje essentieel is
met zijn maximale groeipotentieel.

Weten we gelijk waar haar pseudoniem op is gebaseerd.

Met ‘How dare I’ brengt Poppy Seed een ode aan haar voorouders (“the generations before us on whose shoulders we stand”). De offers die haar voorouders hebben gebracht, verplicht haar, als spoken word artiest, te volharden de nog immer aanwezige gevolgen van de slavernij onder de aandacht te houden:

En ik stel me de artistieke frustraties voor van moeders in ketenen,
glinsterende inspiraties waar nooit meer iets van gehoord wordt,
en ik keek naar een computerdiskette, huh? Hoe durf ik niet te volharden?

VK: Voorpagina

Volkskrant.nl biedt het laatste nieuws, opinie en achtergronden

Na nacht van aanvallen wordt Kyiv opnieuw bestookt door Rusland: één dode

Duitse krijgsmacht probeert soldaten te rekruteren via dönerverpakkingen

Rijnmond - Nieuws

Het laatste nieuws van vandaag over Rotterdam, Feyenoord, het verkeer en het weer in de regio Rijnmond

Vrienden van B&B Vol Liefde Menno: ‘Hij heeft een gouden hart, maar is al te lang vrijgezel'

Pim Kraan en Robijn Voshol kennen Menno als de drukke, scherpe en vooral zorgzame Rotterdammer die al veel te lang vrijgezel is. Dus besloten ze hem een handje te helpen. Zonder dat hij het wist, gaven de vrienden hem op voor het populaire datingprogramma B&B Vol Liefde. Daarvoor reist hij af naar Eline op Aruba.

Seisuiji Temple in Nagano

japanimfokus has added a photo to the pool:

Seisuiji Temple in Nagano

The Moscow Times - Independent News From Russia

The Moscow Times offers everything you need to know about Russia: Breaking news, top stories, business, analysis, opinion, multimedia

Putin Orders Government to Shore Up Russia’s Debt-Laden Regions

The order comes as the federal government struggles to fill its own budget shortfall, which has reached 6.5 trillion rubles ($77.4 billion).

Stacking Up

Greg Adams Photography posted a photo:

Stacking Up