Slashdot

News for nerds, stuff that matters

AT&T Sues California In Bid To Stop Offering Traditional Phone Service

An anonymous reader quotes a report from Reuters: AT&T on Wednesday filed suit (PDF) against California officials seeking a court order declaring it does not have to continue offering traditional copper wire phone service to new customers as it vowed to spend $19 billion on modern telecom services. California requires the U.S. wireless carrier to spend $1 billion annually to maintain a century-old telephone network that few use, AT&T said, saying the network now serves just 3% of households in AT&T's California territory.

AT&T's suit named the California Public Utilities Commission and the state attorney general. AT&T said it is committing to investing $19 billion in California as it works to connect more than 4 million additional households and businesses across California by 2030 and added IP-based networks are far more reliable and efficient. AT&T also Wednesday asked the Federal Communications Commission for permission to discontinue traditional phone service in parts of California where it has faster, more reliable service available. It also filed a petition with the FCC to declare that California's rules that effectively require AT&T to power, repair and sell traditional phone service, even after the FCC has authorized the service to be phased out, are preempted by federal standards.

AT&T added that transitioning from copper will save an estimated 300 million kilowatt-hours annually by 2030 or the equivalent of eliminating emissions from 17 million gallons of gasoline. The company added that California has already suffered about 2,000 outages from copper thefts this year and it struggles to find replacement parts. The federal government and virtually all states where AT&T historically offered copper-wire service "have now eliminated outdated regulatory obstacles" allowing AT&T to begin powering down its old network and increasing its investments in modern communication technologies, the company said in its lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in southern California.

Read more of this story at Slashdot.

Formula 1 News

Formula 1® - The Official F1® Website

‘Get used to it’ – Hamilton determined to stay in F1

Lewis Hamilton has insisted that he plans to continue competing in F1 for a while to come.

薔薇の路地

kasa51 has added a photo to the pool:

薔薇の路地

Found Slide

Thomas Hawk posted a photo:

Found Slide

date stamped on slide, March 1960

Found Kodachrome Slide

Thomas Hawk posted a photo:

Found Kodachrome Slide

date stamped on slide August 1978

Everywhere People Stare

Thomas Hawk posted a photo:

Everywhere People Stare

Mud Muse, Robert Rauschenberg

Thomas Hawk posted a photo:

Mud Muse, Robert Rauschenberg

This Way That

Thomas Hawk posted a photo:

This Way That

The Guardian

Latest news, sport, business, comment, analysis and reviews from the Guardian, the world's leading liberal voice

Chinese authorities destroy villager’s ramshackle 10-storey Studio Ghibli-esque home

The home in the village of Xingyi in Guizhou province had become a tourist attraction, but officials said it lacked the necessary building permits

A ramshackle 10-storey home that had become an offbeat tourist attraction in south-western China has been torn down, ending a years-long battle between the structure’s owner and local authorities.

Chen Tianming said local authorities took just hours to return the stone bungalow – which had been transformed into a pyramid-shaped structure of plywood rooms stacked upon one another – back down to its original single storey.

Continue reading...

VK: Voorpagina

Volkskrant.nl biedt het laatste nieuws, opinie en achtergronden

Reve-biograaf Nop Maas (1949-2026) was de koning van het zinloze feit