Darren Schiller has added a photo to the pool:
An 1878 warehouse classical frontage at 201-205 North Terrace, Adelaide city, became a South Australian state heritage listed reminder of G.&R. Wills & Co. Ltd as a major softgoods (cloth and articles made from it) wholesaler from 19th Century South Australia that spread nationally. The company’s wholly-owned subsidiary George Wills & Co. was a shipping agent also based in Adelaide.
The company's origins were Richard Wills emigrating from Engand to South Australia aboard the Spartan in 1849, followed by his brother George in 1849 on the Minerva and bringing with some drapery. They set up shop and formed G.&R. Wills with premises at 40 and 41 Rundle Street, Adelaide city, in 1853. Two other brothers, Henry (also on the Minerva) and John, also emigrated but died soon after and were buried in West Terrace cemetery along with Richard, who died in 1862.
George Wills returned once to England to be married, and again, permanently, in 1859, to take charge of the company's purchasing house. The company grew into soft goods, stationery, fancy goods, warehousing and general importing with Adelaide managers.
G. & R. Wills and Co.’s Adelaide city headquarters occupied the block bounded by Rundle Street, Gawler Place, North Terrace and Fisher Place, with a clothing factory in Pulteney Street and a shoe factory in Pirie Street, becoming one of the largest softgoods businesses in South Australia. It later had branches at Broken Hill, Melbourne, Fremantle and Kalgoorlie.
The firm had moved into the North Terrace premises in 1867 and expanded through to Rundle Street. Between 1872 and 1881, the annual rateable value of the complex rose from £220 to £800.
In 1865, architects Wright Woods & Hamilton were engaged to supervise the erection of a store for G & R Wills at a cost of £2600 by the contractors English and Brown. By 1867, the cost of construction had risen to £3890, with dimensions given as 90 feet by 100 feet with a lofty cellar.
The complex was refaced and substantially extended to the design of Daniel Garlick and constructed by Brown and Thompson, opening in 1878. The facades were ashlar sandstone walling and cement dressings. Corinthian pilasters, quoins and parapets completed the building that incorporated Renaissance design with Italianate flourishes.
The facades were retained as the last vestiges of the G.&.R. Wills Adelaide city complex when they were bought, along with the smaller neo-Gothic styled building to the east (also state heritage listed in 1986), in the 1940s by John Martin & Co retail business.










